Lady Greensleeves's Velvet Undergown

The tailoring misadventures of a histerical costumer

Friday, July 21, 2006

Ren-Friendly Rainwear

23 July 2006
Conceptual Drawings & Trim Orgy


So I have a conceptual drawing for DH's tunic, assuming I can figure out the keyhole neckline + contrast:




21 July 2006

As promised, here are the details of this project, so far (I bought the fabric today [squee!], so I finally feel ready to start, and hence ready to make a diary):

This project was inspired by the fact that KCRF always has at least one horribly rainy weekend every season--and that's always the weekend we have company. It's also very often hot here, when it rains, making heavy felted wool raincloaks... silly.

I have a gorgeous sueded microfiber raincoat that lived through 5 Portland, OR, winters and never-but-never gave out. It looks and feels like silk, but behaves like nothing else. I decided that *that* was what we needed for Fair. It's actually not that easy to find sueded microfiber yardage, but I finally found a store (in Portland, no less!) that carries both leftover yardage from RTW factory operations, and a limited amount of made-for-them fabrics, as well: Rose City Textiles, found online at www.fabricline.com. Last fall I ordered a batch of swatches but didn't see anything I wanted. This spring, I tried again--and hit pay dirt (more on that later).

My plan is to eventually make 4 garments--two custom-made pieces for DH and me, and 2 walking capes for our guests. I wanted something that was lightweight and beautiful, that would keep out the rain--but that people wouldn't mind wearing even if the weather wasn't as bad as feared. Walking capes are not really period for fair, but the shape is flattering, easy to wear, and seems like a cloak/rain poncho hybrid. DH wanted a tunic and cowl, and I wanted wizard's robes (leave me alone).

I eventually narrowed it down to the following patterns:

Walking Capes: Butterick 3642, view B (but with an added hood)
DH's Tunic: Simplicity 8587, with modifications
Wizard's Robes: Simplicity 5840

And here is the fabric:


To the left is the black, which will be one walking cape. The top is "Copper," a beautiful saddle leather color (fairly accurately depicted). This will be for most of DH's tunic (with some of the black as guards and trim). The second, "Navy," is for the second walking cape, and the third, "Denim," looks a lot like denim on screen, but (to my eye, at least) is a sort of dark dusky peacock blue/teal. That would be for the robes. I may decide I want a walking cape as well, but I bought enough to make the robes. We'll see.

Now, here's the amazing part. I got fabric for all (averaging seven yards each) for $160. For four cloaks!

Tomorrow is the 50% off trim sale at Joann, so I'll be buying trim for all.

More as things develop....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home