Lady Greensleeves's Velvet Undergown

The tailoring misadventures of a histerical costumer

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Birthday S.E.X.

Y'all know that's Stash Enhancement eXperience, yes??

So yesterday was my thirtymumbleth birthday, and did I ever mention that I have the most amazing family?! All I got was STASH (ok, and a DVD and two CDs)... and it's fantabulous!! My inlaws gave me some stash cash (as yet unallocated, but I have plans)... my parents sent (are sending?) scrapbook stuff, and DH got me all of this:




In that picture are:
--A huge self-healing cutting mat (would it occur to your husband to buy you a self-healing cutting mat, totally out of the blue? Incroyable!)

--A set of 18 glorious Marvy watercolor markers, which are gorgeous and I'm not even sure what they're used for... but I love markers with an obsessive lust, so they're wonderful (the most beautiful shade of pale orange verging on cream. Sigh.).

--Ingham & Covey: Costume Technician's Handbook (OMG! OMG!!)

--Beads. Lots of beads. JADE (tremulous breath). And a beautiful little necklace kit with violet Swarovski crystals. All this came in a beautiful small brocade jewelry roll with the most clever little ring holder (and now I want to make one of those, too). As I said in a previous post, I don't really bead... but how cosmic that DH and I were thinking fiercely about violet crystal beads at the same moment!

--And the icing on all of this wondrousness? This:



A kit from Plimouth Plantation designer Joanna Kline, to make a 17th Century embroidered coif.

I am only learning surface embroidery, but I think this will certainly inspire me to greatness with my needle! (For some reason, Blogger won't let me post more pictures just now, so that will have to wait.)

Part II

So today I went prowling round Joann, looking for things to spend my stash money on. I found some hemp cord! I'm actually quite surprised by it, and wish someone who'd made a corded corset would have posted a picture of a spool of the stuff, b/c I'm not at all sure what I have is what I need. I bought it in the beading section (DH wanted to show me everything. :D). It's reeeeeelly thin--like perl cotton 8 thin--and it feels like paper or raffia. Sound right? Hmmm.

I also found--and found I could not pass up--5 yards of the most delicious heavy, 100% cotton, deep cream, tone-on-tone, reversible damask. $25!! It's upholstery yardage and seriously, well, delicious. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it--I don't think it's right for the Gold Overgown... too heavy, for one; also the pattern is HUGE. It would make a fabulous Tudor forepart (or 5 of them). Maybe a Venetian? I don't have a Venetian in my plans. Gah.

But, happiness! I think my obsessive thinking-about-costuming stage is coming to an end. I should now enter into a period of dormancy, followed by actually making something.

Trims go on sale for 50% off on July 22, so I'm going to try to put this all on hold for a few weeks, so that I can, you know, WORK.

(Oh! Could the damask be for a Georgian gown?!)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Lone BeaderĀ® said...

You can't live without beads:)

8:35 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Bunce said...

No, I'm learning that! At least beads are small and easy to store!

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home