Lady Greensleeves's Velvet Undergown

The tailoring misadventures of a histerical costumer

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Early Musings

A while back, while doing research for my real job, I ran across this image: What's so exciting about a woman shearing sheep, you ask? Why, that blue undergown, Lady Greensleeves replies! Because Lady Greensleeves HAS that blue undergown already: Mine is actually more of a violet, than a blue, and even *I* draw the line at shearing sheep in velvet (though not in purple), but I was nonetheless filled with a desperate longing to recreate that gold overgown. This would be my very first portrait reproduction! Huzzah for me!

Now, there are some obvious issues, here... firstly, my blue gown's neckline is much lower than that shown in the painting. Secondly, I don't know what kind of corsetry she's using, but it's fierce... and no amount of binding is going to give me her shape. (And when I bought this gown I did *not* realize what it would do to my own, ahem, assets... and am currently exploring my underpinnings options for something more flattering... and trying to ignore the little voice whispering corded corset). But, still. I think this is entirely doable, and will make my off-the-rack Sofi's gown (much as I love it) a little more special.

So... what is she thinking? She is thinking to take the Simplicity "Ever After" pattern, view C, as a base, and alter the pieces to more accurately reflect the silhouette shown in the painting (making the bodice longer and eliminating the little upward point-thingy that it does at the waist seamline). That pattern is in my stash already, thanks to some pattern sale gluttony last summer.

Fabric... I'm thinking a gold damask. I'm not actually at all certain how I look in gold, and I suppose I could go with ivory, or a soft green... but gold would also go with the Flaming Orange Chemise. My first thought was to buy a couple of the biggest gold damask tablecloths I could get my hands on, but then realized that was the equivalent of spending $10/yard on fabric... which I never do. So I'll have to keep my eyes open for alternatives.

In the meanwhile, I am still recovering from the McCall's bodice fiasco (and no, that will never be documented here), plotting the doublet for milord's father (and possibly new breeches), and my Ren-friendly Rainwear project. I'm off now to Hancock for the doublet patterns to work with, plus yards and yards and yards of muslin for mockups... but my next post will outline my scheme for the Rainwear.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Love your blog! And I simply ADORE that "Ever After" pattern. Had I known it existed, I would have used it for my wedding gown.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home