Lady Greensleeves's Velvet Undergown

The tailoring misadventures of a histerical costumer

Friday, July 07, 2006

Can't Back Out Now

And aren't you proud--it's been two whole days since I posted! I actually made some stuff last night (not sewing, so it doesn't merit pix)--I used my new scrapbook power tool and made some thank-you cards for the wonderful folks who sent me lovely things just for turning thirtymumble! So there. I DO make things. I've also been busy making a book, thank you very much. I find myself unreasonably pleased that my deadline is October 1stish, which gives me three whole weeks of Fair season left for sewing!

But she wanders off track.

I was speaking of not chickening out. Out of...? Out of the corded corset, of course!

On the way home from crying over my revision notes with my writing buddies, I consoled myself with a long trip to Hobby Lobby, where I finally found the right hemp cord, as well as some lovely soft-yet-sturdy cotton "linen weave" fabric for the corset itself. It was hugely expensive (for me, for such a thing)--$12/yard! Eek! I splurged and bought three yards, which looks enough to make about six corsets. Even for me. I also remembered (pats self on back) to buy bias tape! I decided that since the fabric felt wonderful but wasn't exactly beautiful (in a way; it has its own aesthetic), I would buy a pretty color of bias tape. Liked the deep teal, but decided it was too dark. Pink? Bleh. Baby blue? Haven't these people ever heard of sage green? But then! I found it! The most beautiful lovely soft rust color--dead on for the acorns in the coif! Perfect. I wasn't sure whether to get single or double fold--at $1.39, I got both.

But... I'd like to talk about the hemp cord, for a minute. Has there been a run on hemp since everyone else in Cyberspace made their corded corsets? A hemp embargo? Why did I have such a hard time tracking it down--and why was it so bloody expensive? My 200-foot spool cost $10. Not a bank-breaker, in comparison to other costuming costs... but certainly not 400 feet for $2, as I've seen reported elsewhere. Grumble.

So that's it. Nothin' stoppin' me now!

(Watch. It will be 2 years before this thing sees the light of day.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home