Lady Greensleeves's Velvet Undergown

The tailoring misadventures of a histerical costumer

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Getting started... slowly

So I have all the pieces to DH's tunic muslin cut out and ready for assembly. I won't get to work on it tonight b/c we are having dinner with his boss (um... little nervous. Indian food.). I got him to sit down and look at the pattern and some pix with me, and we came up with a plan. I think. The DWR microfiber is not available in any decent shade of green (mint herringbone?), so we are going with a gorgeous copper with black trim/guards. I've never pieced before, but theoretically it can't be any harder than sewing a seam, right? I think it calls out for a very thin black-and-gold trim (such as is on my cotehardie), so I'll see what I can find at JoAnn on Saturday (50% off trims). He decided he liked the version shown in the pattern, which has a front seam and is partially open down the front. I'm not sure I do like the idea of a front seam; I wonder if I could cut it on the fold, instead, and slash. Hm. The muslin is not wide enough to mock that up, I don't think... but I think it's worth a try. How does one finish a slash, exactly? Anyway, the pictures we were looking at had laces in the front; I like clasps. Maybe one large bronze one.

He agreed that the two walking capes should be the darker navy, and the black. I did see some trim I liked for the navy last trip to Jo's; and it's easy to buy trim for black. How much, though? I'll buy a big spool, just to be safe. That's why they have 50% off sales, right? Clasps for these, as well.

Also started looking and planning for the doublet. I'm still worried about the fitting on this. I should find out if they're coming to visit again before fair and get the mockup done for that.

I know there's not going to be enough time to do the Coriander gown. I suppose I should focus on the to-do list, and then do the corset as time permits. That, at least, will help the line of the violet undergown. Yes, that's a good goal. I'll get something done, at least.

I've also been thinking more about the doublet-and-skirt for the coif. I'm thinking of doing a modified Jacobean jacket/doublet. The doublets mostly look too severe to me, but I don't like the big scoop necklines of the Jacobean jackets. I want something like the high neckline in this Alessandro Allori portrait, but not quite so extreme.

But that wasn't my point. It occurred to me how nice it would be if I wore the jacket over a kirtle, instead of a skirt & bodice. Drea Leed's, shown above, is perfect. The only trouble was, I was really picturing the bottom layer in a deep red silk dupioni, and that seems like a silly fabric for a kirtle. Maybe.

So. Now: Revisions. Tonight: Indian food and conversation. Later: examining the Butterick doublet pattern to see what the pieces look like. This weekend: sewing. And revisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home